“London townhouses have seen an notable uplift in demand over the past 12-18 months as savvy buyers seek out a slice of history and heritage within some of London’s most exclusive postcodes.” says Giles Cook of Best Gapp
“Belgravia, Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Chelsea and Kensington have an abundance of fine white stucco-fronted Victorian architecture, the majority of which have since been awarded listed building status to preserve the best of built environment. This hugely appeals to a wide domestic and international audience.
Grand elegant period facades combined with the chance to own a freehold property without the usual complications and extra costs typically associated with their leasehold counterparts. Other items high on people’s wish list are spacious, light and airy rooms, high ceilings, private outside space, separate entrances for staff or guests, and the opportunity for families to escape and co-exist on different floors within the same building.
Significantly, the average price per square foot is often found to be lower for London townhouses compared to the premium payable for acquiring lateral space (i.e. life on one/two floors). In some cases it is possible to install a passenger lift in a listed/unlisted house. The cost is likely to be +/-£100,000 but entirely subject to obtaining all necessary planning consents.”
About Best Gapp
Best Gapp is a Belgravia estate agent, chartered surveyor and property valuer that has been offering an unrivalled service to clients since 1900. The company was based at 1 Sloane Square until 1969 before the business – then known as Best Gapp and Cassells – moved to its current base at 81 Elizabeth Street in the heart of Belgravia.
More from Best Gapp
- PCL Property Experts: 2017 review and 2018 predictions
- Overseas buyers look beyond Prime Central London
- London lettings: What denotes prime and super-prime?
- Budget 2017: Reaction from London property experts
- The attraction of London townhouses – Giles Cook, Best Gapp
- Destination Streets – transformations which have turned an area around
- Are buyers preferring unmodernised or modernised properties?
- Home not selling? Here’s some advice from the experts
- Westminster Voluntary Mansion Tax – experts’ reactions