With a flat sales market, property lettings in Prime Central London are featuring strongly with vendors now offering their properties for sale or rental – whichever comes first. So, what can you do to ensure your property stands out from the rest either as a home owner or as a landlord? DBPR asked London property lettings experts for their advice…
Lynsey Schipper, Head of Lettings at Lurot Brand
- Do everything possible to ensure your property is ‘best in class’. Presentation is absolutely vital in a stock heavy lettings market.
- Tenants really do have choice now so make sure yours stands out from the crowd for the right reasons.
- Create a consistent, ideally contemporary, style throughout. The image of the property will help sell a lifestyle to help Tenants imagine themselves physically living in the property.
Susan Cohen, Head of Lettings at Pastor Real Estate
- Bathrooms and kitchens are a priority – make sure they are of a high standard.
- Don’t overspend on furniture but dress the property carefully
- As the days get shorter, make sure your property is well lit and is warm and inviting
Catherine Cockcroft, Head of Lettings at Aylesford International
- Presentation is paramount – inside, ensure there is no clutter and all rooms are immaculate. Outside, jet wash the approach to the property and re-paint from the first floor down!
- ‘Dress’ the bathrooms with branded products e.g. White Company towels, soaps, diffusers etc
- Clean all windows – very important
Tim Hassell, MD, Draker
- Ensure your colour palate is neutral. This is very important as if the interior is too ‘individual’ it will generate less interest
- Always set up for viewing. The agent needs to go into the property pre-viewing to make sure the lights are on and as winter draws in, heating is also essential so that you don’t open the door to a cold and unwelcoming property
- Be ‘intelligent’ with price. Price is everything and if you are too aggressive you will kill momentum.